Physical Education Evaluation 2016 to Present
The State Board of Education originally adopted National Physical Education Standards in December 2007. Moreover Ohio-made benchmarks and indicators were added in June 2009. Recently, the standards, benchmarks, and indicators were updated to reflect changes in the national standards and feedback provided by Ohio teachers. These updated standards were adopted by the State Board of Education on July 14, 2015. Ohio’s Academic Content Standards in Physical Education are made up of five standards:
Ohio Physical Education Standards
- Standard 1: A physically literate individual demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Standard 2: A physically literate individual applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Standard 3: A physically literate individual demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Standard 4: A physically literate individual exhibits responsible, personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Standard 5: A physically literate individual recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.
Your 6/7th grade student will be graded based on these standards. All standards are based on rubrics.
These rubrics are broken down into three categories as follows:
Advanced "3" = 100 in grade book.
Proficient "2" = 80 in grade book.
Limited "1" = 60 in grade book
Non Participation "0" = 50 in grade book
* Some of the standards are based on physical activity, while others are written assignments.
** Some physical activities are part of a pretest and do NOT count towards your child's nine weeks grade. However, the post test will count towards your child's nine weeks grade. The pretest is given during the first (third - 2nd semester) nine weeks, and the post test is given during the second (fourth - 2nd semester) nine weeks.
*** All physical testing will be taken by every student. The only way a student does not have to participate is with a written excuse from their doctor.
RETAKES AND ABSENCES
Students will have until the end of the 7th week to retake any evaluation (physical or written) that is covered during those seven weeks. During the 8th and 9th weeks, students can only retake evaluations covered during those two weeks. If a student is absent, a grade of "50" will be entered in the grade book until those evaluations are made up. If a grade of "50" is entered, a students has either been absent, has not participated in the evaluation, or has not turned in his/her work for that particular evaluation. It is the student's responsibility to ask if there was anything missed due to an absence and turning in the required work.
The exception to this is the PACER test. It will only be offered for a single week. Our students will be able to take/retake this test every day during the week it is offered. There are a few exceptions that will be granted. For example: The student misses the entire week due to an illness.